Tuesday 7 October 2014

Sunday 5th October 2014

An odd-looking wave situation with numerous fronts bunching up on the lower South Island. It was going to be unpredictable so we launched a bit earlier (for us!) at 12.
Gary towed me (JR) into the Old Man wave. I headed south down the Umbrella Range turning 60km south of Alex where the left petered out and airspace loomed. Then north with a decent tailwind (200kts ground speed at one stage) down the Dunstans and into the MacKenzie until I was reluctant to continue over 8/8th cover. I turned back at the Neuman Range about 135km north of Alex. Total about 410km and a fast (for me) speed of 155km/h. I landed just as the rain started.

Flight trace HERE

 Thanks Gary for the tow, and Roy, Brian, Doug for helping me get going.

Above Lake Ohau 17000'

No comments:

Post a Comment